Monday, April 12, 2010

Why buy food when you can just make it?

It all started with my boyfriend.


He said that he would eat anything, and I didn't believe him. At the time I was a horrible cook and was certain that he would hate my cooking. So I started cooking for him. Just about every Thursday night I would bring him food at school while he studied. At first the cooking was horrible, and I can't say it's gotten much better, but I am learning a lot!
This past week I made Chicken Sandwiches, Potatoes, and Corn on the Cob with Jalapeno Lime Butter. Yummy! It turned out pretty fabulously so I thought I'd share the recipes with you.
------
Chicken Sandwiches
First make:
Breaded Chicken Breast (serves 1)

1 Chicken Breast
1 Tablespoon(T) & 1 Teaspoon(t) Mayonnaise
2 T Bread Crumbs
2 T Parmesan Cheese
1/2 t Parsley

Spread chicken breast with mayonnaise. Dip in bread crumbs, cheese, & parsley. Place in greased 11/7/2 baking dish. Back uncovered @ 375 for 25-30 minutes.

When Chicken is done, put on hamburger bun (or roll) and add toppings and sauces. It's great with barbeque sauce!

------
Potatoes

This is pretty easy to just wing. I sautéed onions and red peppers. Then I chopped up some red potatoes
and added them to the pan. I also used lots butter. If you microwave the potatoes first, it makes the cooking time faster. Add salt and pepper to taste, rosemary, and Lowry seasoning salt. Enjoy!

------
Corn on the Cob with Jalapeno Lime Butter

Serves 6

6 Ears Fresh Sweet Corn
Sugar
Jalapeno Lime Butter (recipe below)

1. Break off the stems of the corn and peel back the husks, being careful not to pull them off. Remove the silk. Then rewrap the corn in the husks and tie with kitchen string.

2. While you are doing that, bring a large kettle of water to a boil. Add 1 T sugar for each quart of water.

3. Gently lower the corn--in batches if necessary--into the boiling water, and cook for 3-5 minutes. Drain, and serve immediately with Jalapeno Lime Butter.

Jalapeno Lime Butter (Not Spicy!)

1 Small Fresh Jalapeno Pepper
1 Clove Garlic
1 Cup(2 sticks) Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
Grated Zest of 2 Limes
1/4 t Paprika

1. Cut the jalapenos in half, and carefully remove and discard the seeds.

2. Combine the pepper and garlic in a food processor, and process until finely minced. Add the remaining ingredients, and process until well blended.

3. Transfer the butter to a piece of plastic wrap and shape it into a small sausage. Wrap tightly, and refrigerate until firm. To serve, unwrap and cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds.

For those of you who can't handle spicy food, don't worry! This is not a spicy recipe. It is packed with flavor but NOT hot!

-------

Happy Cooking!

1 comment: